You can use the Unity Game Engine to create a Behaviour Tree API as your own in C#
What you'll learn
- Students will learn the theory of behaviour tree design.
- Students will learn how to develop a behaviour tree API in C#
- Students will learn how to use behaviour trees to define the actions of non-player characters.
- Students should have a solid understanding of C#
- Students should have a working knowledge of the Unity Game Engine.
Behavioral trees (BTs) are an artificial intelligence. It offers game characters the ability to select from a number of behavior options and carry them out, with the aid of an architecture that treats logic operations as a simple but powerful branching tree. In games of different genres, such as first-person shooters, real-time strategy games, and games that involve characters that make intelligent decisions, it can be utilized. Deceptively simple and yet logical, reusable, and highly powerful, this codebase is easily understandable. While going through all of the trouble of converting a library from C# to Unity 2020, it will easily translate to other applications as well.
Penny demystifies advanced artificial intelligence in this Learn Advanced AI for Games with Behaviour Trees course. BT's technique for creating believable and intelligent game characters is based on her internationally acclaimed teaching style and experience from working with games and graphics (aff) for almost 30 years and having written two award-winning books on games AI. Throughout the Learn Advanced AI for Games with Behaviour Trees course, you'll participate in hands-on workshops designed to walk you through every step of building a BT API. The whole BT library will be built from scratch while the art gallery simulation will be built in parallel, allowing you to test the API along the way.
Learn how to program and work with:
- A Behaviour Tree Library and API that's reusable across a wide range of game projects.
- Tree architectures, nodes, leaves, sequences, and selectors that define the behaviour of individual non-player characters (NPCs).
- Navigation Meshes and Agents that provide advanced path planning and navigation capabilities for characters.
- A Blackboard System that acts as a global inventory for world states and allows characters to communicate with each other.
Contents and Overview
Through this Learn Advanced AI for Games with Behaviour Trees course, you will follow along as BT library and API code is constructed from the ground up, so that you develop an intimate understanding of the codebase. We will also construct a simple art gallery simulation at the same time to test the functionality of the library as it is put together. Additionally, the simulation will utilize Unity's NavMesh System for navigation and path planning.
In this Learn Advanced AI for Games with Behaviour Trees course, we begin with an overview of Behaviour Trees and go over all the basic concepts (such as trees, nodes, leaves, sequences, selectors, etc.). Code is being developed to navigate the Behaviour Tree, which will be used to drive non-player characters in the artwork, such as a robber, policeman, gallery visitors, and workers. As a result of this program, students will gain a solid understanding of how Behaviour Trees function and can be used to construct actions for game characters.
Upon completion of this Learn Advanced AI for Games with Behaviour Trees course, students will have a fully-fledged BT library and API which they can use in their own game projects to provide their game characters with complex intelligent behavior.
What students are saying about Penny's courses:
- Turns out, the hardest part of this Learn Advanced AI for Games with Behaviour Trees course for me is finding the words to describe how glad I am to have enrolled in it.
- I honestly love Hollistic's teaching approach and I've never learned so much within a few hours about coding effectively with such detailed explanations!
- Penny is an excellent instructor and she does a great job of breaking down complex concepts into smaller, easy-to-understand topics.
Who this course is for:
- Intermediate game development students wanting to extend their knowledge of artificial intelligence techniques used in games.
Created by Penny de Byl, Penny @Holistic3D.com
Last updated 7/2021
Size: 4.38 GB